When switching between machines, application incompatibilities due to operating system changes become a big pain. For instance, when a user changes his machine from Mac to Windows, he has to make a switch from Apple Mail to Windows Outlook. Since Apple Mail data cannot be directly accessed within Windows Outlook, a mechanism is needed to export it to a middle format which can then be imported into Outlook. Stellar MBOX to PST converter is the simplest and most straightforward way of performing such a conversion.
When changing operating systems, emailing gets affected majorly, especially in the case of a Windows-Mac migration. Unless a user is working with Apple mail and then switches to Windows Outlook (in which case migrating email data would be a piece of cake), switching from the default Mac email client, Apple Mail, to the default Windows email client, Outlook, is a challenging task. To achieve it users would need to perform a conversion of the database file used by one client to a format the other email client understands. In the case of Apple Mail and Outlook, that would mean an MBOX to PST conversion.
Let us find out how users can migrate Apple Mail Offline emails to Windows Outlook using the MBOX to PST conversion technique.
The simplest technique to migrate Apple Mail Offline emails to Windows Outlook
Note: If both, the source and the target, computers are using the IMAP mail provider, all you have to do is setup the connection to the mail server and all the emails and folders will be copied down to the windows computer. In an IMAP based setup, emails stay on the server and can be store on the local computer also, and when you connect to the server with another device, computer, phone or pad, all the mails with folders get copied to the other device. If however this is not the case, you can export Apple Mail mailbox to Outlook using the below mentioned technique.
The process of exporting Apple Mail to Windows Outlook is completed in three phases:
- Apple Mail Export Mailbox to MBOX format
- Convert MBOX file to PST format
- Import PST file into Outlook
Here are the step-wise instructions to complete each of these phases:
Apple Mail Export Mailbox to MBOX format
The following steps will save your Apple Mail emails along with MIME attachments in MBOX format.
- Launch Apple Mail on Mac
- Select the email messages you wish to save in MBOX format (you can use “Command + A” to export the whole folder)
- Go to the File menu and select Save As
- Enter the filename for your MBOX file (default filename is the subject of the first message, but this doesn’t necessarily mean that you should save each message individually)
- Select the destination where you want to save the MBOX file
- Select Format: Raw Message Source
- Click on the Save button
Convert MBOX file to PST format
There is no straightforward manual method to achieve complete MBOX to PST conversion. Thus, the easiest, safest, and most accurate way to convert MBOX file to PST format is to use reliable tool Stellar MBOX to PST Converter. Having the capability of converting single or multiple MBOX files to PST format, this extremely handy and user friendly tool can help you export all mailbox items like emails, attachments, notes, contacts, journals, etc. from MBOX files to corresponding PST files. The resultant PST files can then be directly imported within Outlook to access all mailbox data.
Here’s how you can use this tool to perform the conversion:
- Download and install Stellar MBOX to PST Converter on your Windows computer
- Launch the software and from its home screen, select your source email client (in this case, Apple Mail)
- Click on ‘Select File’ to convert a single MBOX file. If you wish to convert multiple MBOX files in a folder, then click on ‘Select Identity Folder’
- Once the source MBOX file has been selected, click on the Convert button to start the procedure
- The next screen shows the scanning progress of the MBOX file
- When scan finishes, all convertible items will be listed in the software’s left hand panel. Click on any item to preview it before conversion
- To save converted data, click on the Save button from the menu
- Select whether you wish to save converted data as a new PST file or append it to an existing PST
- Pick a destination to save the PST file and click on OK to complete the conversion
Import PST file into Outlook
This is the simplest phase. Follow the below mentioned steps to import PST to Outlook 2013 / 2016:
- Launch Outlook on your Windows machine
- Go to File -> Open & Export -> Import/Export
- Choose Import from another program or file and click on the Next button
- Choose Outlook Data File (PST) and then click on the Next button
- Browse to the PST file you want to import. Under Options, choose how you want to deal with emails and contacts and then click on the Next button
- Choose “Import items into the current folder” to import the data into the folder currently selected
- Choose Finish to let Outlook start importing the contents of your PST file immediately
Email migrations are usually complex and need a lot of steps to be performed. But if you have the right tools by your side, this challenging task can be simplified to a great extent.